newyorkunicycleblog

The Cycle of Life

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Finally, Some Updates

OK, it's been MONTHS since my last confession.

In that time, I've hit a few strides (NOT ruts!), so there hasn't been a lot to write about. Then there were a few changes lately that merited some comments.

For the past few months, I've been using my muni for riding in Manhattan. This came about because for a long time, Florian had my guni in Switzerland, so I had to make do with a different unicycle. Then I fell in love with the muni. Its 3-inch-wide tire is perfect for small maneuvering around obstacles on NYC streets. I like riding around lampposts and hydrants, for example, and a smaller and fatter wheel is great for that. It's also a bit easier to take under the bus, but that's not a real factor. Mainly I love the big bouncy wheel.

Then the guni reappeared. Or rather, the hub made it back to New Paltz, but I had to have the wheel rebuilt. As it happens, the bike shop where Mike would be reassembling the wheel was closed for the winter except on Saturdays, when I was, by coincidence, out of town for three straight weekends. Finally I met up with Mike the Bike, and a few weeks later, I had the guni up and running again. Unfortunately, one of the buttons that's used for the gearshift fell out. This wasn't the first time -- in fact, I guess it was the 4th. So I emailed Florian, and he sent me a few replacements. Sure enough, the very next time on it, the replacement button fell out. Now I'm afraid to try the thing again because I'm down to my last replacement.

So I'm back to the muni for Manhattan... except for my possible hernia. More on that in the next blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counter