newyorkunicycleblog

The Cycle of Life

Monday, July 17, 2006

Emmett, the Youngest Unicyclist on the East Coast (officially, at least)

The New York Unicycle Club met yesterday, and I brought along my tribe (Fiona, Emmett, and little Maeve). We had a decent turnout, in large part because about 6 riders had shown up to join Brian MacKenzie as he filmed a Coker ride to and thru Central Park.

As soon as I arrived at the Tomb, Emmett started riding (quickly!) around the quad, going in big circles and zooming around with great skill (and abandon). This was the best he had ever ridden, and he was enjoying himself tremendously. When I got back, Emmett was still having a blast. In fact, he even won his first 'race' (against another little boy who was also riding a 16" wheel). He had gotten to the point where he only needed to freemount in order to pass level 1. I gave him a piece of advice, he tried it, he got it the first time, and voila: He is level 1!

And in other Emmett news, I got a call asking if he can audition for a commercial this Tuesday. An agent had seen him in a video about our club that was made a few months back. His tryout is tomorrow.

Not to be outdone, Fiona passed level 2 (go, Fiona!), finally freemounting with her left foot to pass that last required item.

Just to be on the safe side, I took Maeve's future uni out of storage, a sturdy little 12-incher that's hard to ride because the pedals hit the ground if you turn too sharply. Still, I know she'll have a great time trying it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counter