newyorkunicycleblog

The Cycle of Life

Friday, July 14, 2006

Back from the Races

We got back from the unicycling convention a few days ago. It was in Memphis, and the 1,100-mile trip took about 1,100 minutes each way, which means we averaged well over 60 mph on account of our breaks. Everything made it back except for one stuffed animal that has not yet been missed and one racing unicycle that will eventually be sent back from its caretaker in Tennessee.

I participated in all of the races I could. For my age group, I set personal records in all three speed races that involve normal riding (two feet on the pedals). I didn't manage to finish the wheel-walking race, and I had a poor time in the one-footed race, though I still managed 2nd place in my bracket. I also had a 2nd place in the slow backward 'race' and a 3rd place finish in the slow forward race. I also came in 2nd for the obstacle course, which I have always done poorly on. Overall I finished 2nd in 'racing points' for men in their 30s, losing out to a talented but slow rider who managed to do pretty well in the speed races and won all of the other ones.

What I was happiest about was how much faster I rode than in previous years. It's been funny to me how I've gotten faster as I've aged. Certainly that racing uni helped a great deal. And I think that I'll do even better next year.

Next year I'll be in a higher age category. I expect to beat all of my old times, but I'm pretty sure I'll come in 2nd in racing points again because my strongest competitor is John Foss, who is really good at all of the races where I struggle. He'll win the slow races, the one-foot race, and the obstacle course, and I'll win the speed races. My goal is actually to get into the expert heats again.

http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=20411503&postID=114644986399013992

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counter