newyorkunicycleblog

The Cycle of Life

Monday, April 03, 2006

GUNI Repair Report

Well, it turned out to be a lot simpler than I'd expected.

For reasons owing to the unique design of this hub, I thought that the cranks were attached a lot differently, or at least that one of the cranks was somehow connected to the hub while the other was not. So when I was at the bikeshop and the mechanic and I couldn't remove one of the hub's outer buttons, we never assumed that we had to play more with that button.

Yesterday I handed the guni over to Dave Bagley, the only other guni owner on the East Coast (he's from Joisey -- are you from Joisey?). He admitted that the button over the loose crank was a bit stuck, but once he got it off, the rest of the job was a piece of cake -- just a few turns of a wrench and the crank was tight again.

Apparently there was something wrong with the first crank I had -- or maybe it was simply not tightened enough. Anyway, Dave had an extra set of cranks, so he gave them to me -- just to be safe. We put them on in place of my cranky cranks.

Since then, I haven't really tested the guni more than to ride it around a bit at the club. In an hour, I'll ride home (less than 5 miles). Given the fact that I'm not staying at my mom's any longer (the paint job on our house is almost complete), I won't be riding Queen Gunivere for more than 9 miles a day (whereas last week I was riding it about 20 miles a day). At that rate, I won't know how well the crank is staying on for a few weeks, but I'm confident that it's going to last for some time AND that if it does loosen, I will be able to fix it on my own!

1 Comments:

At 10:19 AM, Blogger Christof said...

Hi

After all the problems with your guni, do you still like it? I hope so - cause I'm thinking about having an own guni. The idea of two gears is still great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counter