newyorkunicycleblog

The Cycle of Life

Sunday, January 01, 2006

COPS and UNIS

5/5/05

As a native NY'er who's ridden in The City almost every day for the past 25 years, you'd think I'd have a few cop tales to tell. I do.

1. I got pulled over for riding thru a red light when the car that was down the block (and heading the other way towards that light) turned out to be a cop car. The driver was really nice and just warned me about riding against the light. It was not a great move by me, but I do it fairly often when I judge it's safe.

2. A cop put on the squelch lights and sounds and pulled me over as I was Cokering home on what I thought was a bike path. He said, "That's cool. Where can I order one?"

3. I was riding my 20" freestyle across Central Park. There were three bike cops out trying to enforce (thru warnings) the rule that you can't bike in the park except on certain paths. So as I got towards him, he says, "Excuse me, there is no biking on this path." I said, "OK, well if I see anyone on a bike, I'll let them know." But then I calmly dismounted as his buddies laughed and walked until he was unable to see me. I rode on and arrived at another checkpoint. The cops there all gave me the thumbs up and the head cop said, "Cool."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counter