newyorkunicycleblog

The Cycle of Life

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Just Rode a Century on a Uni

9/9/02

Three Unatics rode unis in the Century Ride this afternoon. Andrew, a new member, completed 35 miles or so despite never having ridden more than about 5-10 miles. He was borrowing my 26" Sem. My brother, John, completed 84 miles on a 29" Sem (28" Sem with fat tire). I rode 102 miles on my Coker in just under 12 hours (2.5 hours were for breaks). I think John's accomplishment is more impressive because it's sorta possible to imagine that on a Coker, he'd have gone 112 miles or so.

Stats:
Flats: 1 (Andrew -- he repaired it at home and rejoined the ride).
UPDs: 0 (tho I had two near-spills which I was lucky to pull out of)

Personal:
Miles: 102
Time: Started at 6:06am; finished at 6:00pm.
Average velocity : 0 mph. When you start and stop in the same place, the velocity is zero.
Average Speed: 10.4mph when riding, 8.5mph all together. Note that the 10.4 was brought way down by my exhaustion at the end. Over the first 50 miles I maintained an avg of 12.3mph.
Fluids consumed: I think I had 11-12 liters, mainly Gatorade (sometimes just water). That comes out to one every 8-9 miles. I also ate lots of watermelon, oranges, and bananas.
Bikers passed: Tons, mainly on uphills.
Times people shouted "You're the man!": Too many to count. That's partly what kept me going.
What hurts: Those muscles that allow you to tap your feet -- man, those a killing! Crotch and bottom -- I walk a bit like a cowboy, and my derriere feels like someone thru a cheese grater into my bike shorts.

A fun ride, but I may never want to uni again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counter