newyorkunicycleblog

The Cycle of Life

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Dangerous UPD Today

10/22/02

I had a potentially dangerous UPD -- this time not due to anything stupid on my part -- that nearly led to an unfortunate injury of an innocent pedestrian. I think some of you can come up with a solution, so I'm posting.

On my usual Coker ride into Manhattan, I got to a part where the bike path turns into regular park routes. There is a short section of park path before I hit the streets. I was pedalling about 12-13mph on this path when I suddenly lost my footing on one side. I rode a couple revs while trying to regain balance or at least dismount safely. Instead, and perhaps bc of my attempts, the uni shot out from me. Since I was falling backwards, it really zoomed away (even tho I have the Wyganofsky extension and was holding it at the time). I later discovered it probably hit over 20 mph in that moment.

I landed standing but immediately noticed that the Coker was heading (fast) for parents pushing a double stroller. I shouted, and luckily the mom heard and blocked the Coker, which by this time had rolled an amazing 50 feet.

I know that Aaron Svec has developed (and even practiced?) a method where he swats his Coker when he falls off behind it. I would have done so had there been time, but my arms were both too far from the uni at the time.

Any ideas to prevent this? I have considered a cord or bungee attachment (like surfboarders use, tho there are probably inherent dangers about which we'd have to be careful. Maybe a cord which could extend really far but could be reeled in -- and which would break away if the uni were dragged away with too great force (like if it went over a cliff and you didn't want to follow it). Maybe our motorcycling friends have some ideas?

It was a very scary moment, and I have worried about it before. I hope we can arrive at a safe solution. I was wondering if I could put sth on the back of the extension to slow down or stop a roll. Maybe that's what I need.

David

PS: Harper is probably already working on a uni that explodes safely if it gets more than 10 feet from its rider.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counter