newyorkunicycleblog

The Cycle of Life

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Unis and Wheelchairs

10/27/05

We've all been in the position of riding past someone in a wheelchair, and if you've been riding long enough, it's occurred to you that this could be an awkward situation. But if you REALLY think about it, people in wheelchairs and people on unicycles have something else in common: People tend to ignore us. For unicyclists, it's because many passers-by want to maintain their cool (certainly this is the case in NYC). For wheelchair-riders, this is because people try so hard NOT to stare that they end up avoiding the eyes of the person in the wheelchair.

I take a different approach. When I see someone in a wheelchair, I'll often give thumbs up and say, "Nice wheels." I've only ever had positive responses. When I see kids in wheelchairs, I always make positive comments about their cool wheelchairs and ask how fast they can get around, etc. Their parents always appreciate that I'm treating them 'normally.' We have to be careful not to pretend to ignore people -- they always catch when this is going on.

Late comedian Mitch Hedberg said," It is very dangerous to wave to people you don't know, because what if they don't have a hand? They'll think you're cocky. 'Look what I got, motherf..., this thing is useful. I'm gonna go pick something up.'" He's making a joke about how overly careful people are about not offending anyone -- not a good way to live, is it?

I'd rather please 99 people and offend one than to please no one because I was afraid of taking a risk. I think I might still feel this way if their #s were 90/10. Below that, I'm not so sure! But if you ever see me in a wheelchair, I want a big thumbs up. Then I'll race your butt, and win.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counter