newyorkunicycleblog

The Cycle of Life

Friday, January 06, 2006

Uni'ing to Beat the NYC Transit Strike!

[Originally written on 12/22/05]

I had a few errands in a part of NYC called Manhattan today. As some of you may know, there is a bus and subway strike affecting all of NYC, but it's toughest on those entering (and getting around) Manhattan. I rode from my home in central Brooklyn to 55th and 2nd Ave today, stopping for an errand on 28th and Fifth. It was brilliant riding up Fifth today -- it was closed to all gas-powered monstrosities except private buses and emergency vehicles. That was a cool leg of the journey. I also got to dazzle many pedestrians with my off-road-style Cokering.

When the day was done, I'd covered just under a marathon (24.4 miles -- makes me want to get out and ride a few more just for fun) at an avg speed of about 10 mph -- WAY WAY faster than those poor commuters trying to get around today.

Favorite moment of the day (and there were many): While passing a young hotshot biker on the uphill part of the Manhattan Bridge, I asked, "Do you need a boost?"

Riding around this much put me into SUCH a good mood! The iPod helped, too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counter