newyorkunicycleblog

The Cycle of Life

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

10% Faster

I've pedaled over 4,000 miles on my Cokers but only about 720 on my guni. That's still enough, however, for me to say that the guni is about 10% faster, if not even more.

I'm basing this on my commutes home and on my park loop racing. On my Coker, the commute used to take at least 25 minutes. 24 was a rarity, and 23 never happened, even with shorter cranks. Then last week, I rode home in 20.5 minutes on the guni. Part of it was that I'd chosen a better route, allowing me longer straightaways that more than made up for the extra two tenths of a mile in distance. Even though there is a considerable climb in each direction, which favors a unicycle like a Coker, my legs are now strong enough to handle the elevation so that I can accomplish the entire ride in high gear.

I also noticed that I was able to pedal around the Prospect Park bike loop in just over 13 minutes, which is quite a bit faster than the fastest speed on my Coker. I think that I could break 12 minutes now that I have greater confidence on the guni.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counter